TENNIS: Olympic silver medallist Juan Martin del Potro looks set to miss next month's Australian Open as he believes he is not fit enough.
The Argentine has been plagued by injuries over the past couple of seasons, including a wrist injury which required a third round of surgery earlier this year.
Despite those problems, Del Potro defeated Novak Djokovic in Rio before losing to Andy Murray in the final for the gold medal and also led his country to a first Davis Cup success.
Del Potro said as well as probably missing the first grand slam tournament of the new year in Melbourne, he cast doubt on whether he would play in the Davis Cup first round tie at home to Italy in February.
"What I need is to have someone get me physically fit enough to last the whole year,” he said.
"There's a fortnight to the Australia Open and I'm unlikely to make that objective.
"We're looking at what the priority is. If tennis waited for me for two years, Australia can wait for me for one more.”
Del Potro was set to play two exhibition matches against Spaniard David Ferrer in Buenos Aires and at the seaside resort of Mar del Plata on December 27 and 28.