Court overturns decision to release murder-accused on bail

A COURT decision to release on bail the man accused of killing five members of one family has been overturned.

Robert Xie allegedly bashed and strangled his brother-in-law Norman Lin and four others, including two children in their Sydney home three years ago.

After being committed to stand trial over the murders last week, a Sydney judge said he would allow Mr Xie to be released on bail on the condition he wore an electronic monitoring bracelet and offered a $900,000 surety.

His reasoning was that Xie would be the "most watched man in Australia".

But a last-minute ruling in Sydney's Supreme Court on Monday ensured Mr Xie would spend Christmas behind bars.

Justice Stephen Rothman said that while the whole case against Mr Xie was "not strong", some elements were "extremely strong".

A date for the trial has not been set.



Tabulam warned after fire jumps Clarence River

Tabulam warned after fire jumps Clarence River

Bruxner Highway between Tenterfield and Casino is closed

Highway traffic heavy after car, trailer rolled over

Highway traffic heavy after car, trailer rolled over

Heavy traffic conditions on Pacific Mwy after "bad smash"

Make your own coffee cup and join the War on Waste

premium_icon Make your own coffee cup and join the War on Waste

"Little changes can make a huge difference".

Local Partners