Councillors won't change quarry
LISMORE City Council refused on Tuesday night to retrospectively approve work already completed at Champion’s Quarry at Tucki Tucki.
Earlier in the day, it also held a closed meeting on how to fight an appeal against its refusal to approve a proposed expansion of the quarry.
Councillors also agreed to write to State Planning Minister Tony Kelly calling on him not to classify the proposed extension as a major project, which would effectively take the decision out of the council’s hands.
Since the council’s rejection of the proposal extension to the quarry in February, it has been fighting to uphold its decision on numerous fronts.
The quarry’s owner and former Lismore mayor Jeff Champion has challenged the rulingin the NSW Land and Environment Court, and also lodged the application with NSW Planning that it be classified as a major project.
The proposed expansion would see extractions from the quarry jump to 200,000 tonnes, even though it isn’t extracting the full amount under its existing development approval.
In a seven to three vote, councillors on Tuesday night refused to modify the development consent of a bund that was built about twice the size as originally approved and in the wrong location.
In a strongly-worded letter to Minister Kelly, the council said the proposed extension was not in the public interest and contravened development plans.
It detailed 10 reasons why the Minister should reject Mr Champion’s bid to overturn the council decision.
The letter said the quarrydevelopment did not comply with prescribed buffers, would have an unacceptable impact on the local area’s roads, wouldincrease the level of dust and noise and could harm the local koala population.
It also said the quarry hadunderestimated its Section 94 developer contributions by as much as $300,000.
The letter said that if the Minister did approve the expansion, he should impose at least 49 detailed conditions.
Mr Champion yesterday declined to comment.