Council wants safe driving
LISMORE City Council is reminding residents to drive to conditions during this wet weather period and to be aware that road conditions can change suddenly.
Council's Road Safety Officer, Lisa Marshall, said that motorists are urged to approach floodways and causeways with caution and not to cross flooded roads.
"There has been some intense rainfall over the past few days and many Council roads will be affected," Ms Marshall said.
"I encourage drivers to find out as much as they can about the road conditions on the route they may be travelling on, and also check the latest weather warnings. The My Road Info website has up-to-date information about local road conditions and closures for Lismore and the surrounding council areas.
"Also, we would like to advise drivers that Council crews may be carrying out emergency road repairs where necessary and Council requests that all road users obey traffic control signs."
Wet weather road safety tips:
- Be alert & expect the unexpected
- Keep your windscreen and lights clean
- Use your headlights
- Slow down & watch your speed
- Scan the road ahead of you
- Take care if overtaking
- Double your normal following distance
- Don't tailgate slower drivers
- Brake & accelerate gently
- Obey traffic signs & watch out for water over the road