Conor McGregor stands in the ring after being defeated by Floyd Mayweather Jr in the 10th round of their super welterweight boxing match on August 26 last year. Picture: Christian Petersen/Getty
Conor McGregor stands in the ring after being defeated by Floyd Mayweather Jr in the 10th round of their super welterweight boxing match on August 26 last year. Picture: Christian Petersen/Getty

UFC star sues Conor McGregor for ‘severe distress’

UFC star Conor McGregor is being sued by a fellow fighter after his infamous bus attack earlier this year.

Michael Chiesa is going after the Irishman for assault and battery after he was allegedly injured when a trolley was thrown through a bus window during a UFC event at the Barclays Centre in New York, The Sun reports.

McGregor and his associates stormed the arena in April in order to target Khabib Nurmagomedov, who he is fighting next month at UFC 229.

Michael Chiesa and Anthony Pettis.
Michael Chiesa and Anthony Pettis.

But Chiesa was caught up in the brawl as he sat in the same vehicle as McGregor's nemesis.

And he was forced to miss his fight against Anthony Pettis two days later after sustaining cuts to his face.

Chiesa also required further hospital treatment, and TMZ claims he has now filed a lawsuit in New York.

McGregor is apparently accused of causing "severe emotional distress, mental trauma and/or bodily harm."

Chiesa is also going after the Barclays Centre, as he feels that security failed "to engage in proper security measures to protect the plaintiff and other patrons".

McGregor was arrested after the attack, but ended up with only community service despite being charged with criminal mischief and three counts of misdemeanour assault.

Now, in his first UFC fight since 2016, McGregor is now looking to prove his enemies wrong when he faces Nurmagomedov.

Irishman McGregor has not fought since his boxing loss to Floyd Mayweather a year ago.

Chiesa's lawsuit could open the door for more actions against McGregor, with UFC strawweight fighters Rose Namajunas and Karolina Kowalkiewicz also on the bus at the time of McGregor's attack.

Namajunas' coach, Trevor Wittman, told Ariel Helwani's MMA Show on ESPN that his fighter was still deeply traumatised by the events in New York.

"She doesn't leave her house," Wittman said last week.

"It's still there. She doesn't go in public places. When you're in a public place and there's people everywhere, you're going to be like 'Oh my god, what could happen?'"

- This story originally appeared on thesun.co.uk



Trial told of 'bizarre sexual manipulation' tweet

premium_icon Trial told of 'bizarre sexual manipulation' tweet

Spiritual healer is suing former client for defamation

Charges dropped against man accused of filming in toilets

premium_icon Charges dropped against man accused of filming in toilets

Only one charge remained and the 45-year-old pleaded guilty to it

Beloved pub to reopen under new management

Beloved pub to reopen under new management

Ballina pub set to reopen its doors

Local Partners