Child restraints fitted for free
LISMORE City Council is offering a qualified child restraint fitter inspection or installation voucher to people with young children in the local government area to assist them in meeting stringent child restraint laws introduced in 2010.
Lismore City Council's road safety officer, Lisa Marshall, said the voucher program has been ongoing since the legislative changes were made, and it was developed in recognition of the fact that many people were wanting to seek advice from qualified fitters to ensure they met the safety requirements.
"We know that getting the best advice can put extra pressure on the family budget, however the safety of children and reducing the number of injuries incurred by children in cars is everyone's priority," Ms Marshall said.
"So what we have done is worked with local upholsterers, Denny's, an authorised Roads & Maritime Services (previously RTA) restraint fitting station, to develop a program where we can make it easier on families by providing a free voucher to have restraints correctly installed or checked.
"According to the Roads & Maritime Services, research shows that seating children from age four, up to seven years of age, in an appropriate booster seat will reduce their risk of injury in a crash by almost 60 per cent when compared to sitting in an adult seatbelt without a booster seat.
"I urge parents and carers to take advantage of these free vouchers. Give yourself peace of mind and take the opportunity to have your child's restraint installed or checked by a professional."
The child restraint legislation includes the following:
- Children younger than six months must be secured in rearward facing restraints
- Children between six months and four years must be secured in either a rear or forward facing restraint
- Children between four and seven years must be secured in forward facing child restraint or booster seat
- Children younger than four years cannot travel in the front seat of a vehicle with two or more rows
- Children between four and less than seven years cannot travel in the front seat of a vehicle with two or more rows, unless all other back seats are occupied by children younger than seven years in a child restraint or booster seat.
Parents or carers can collect their free voucher at Lismore Council's Corporate Office located at 43 Oliver Avenue, Goonellabah or at the CBD office located at 55 Magellan Street, Lismore. For more information on the free Child Restraint Voucher Scheme contact Lismore City Council, phone: 1300 87 83 87.