Cause of Casino Golf Course’s midnight fire a mystery
A SMALL area of grass and bamboo caught alight at the Casino Golf Club on Thursday night waking local residents.
"We were woken last night to what sounded like fireworks," Casino resident Dee Hartin said.
"Loud cracking and banging sounds. It turned out to be bamboo on fire at the Casino Golf Club."
Ms Hartin said she could see two clumps of bamboo that had caught fire.
Golf club secretary/manager Wayne Morgan said the bamboo backed on to the swamp.
"It was about 150m from the club house but there was no damage and it didn't affect the course in any way," he said.
"The firies came back out this morning as there was a bit of a flare up but nothing big."
A Newcastle Fire Communications spokesperson said the local brigade was called out at 11.35pm Thursday and they quickly extinguished a small area of grass, bamboo and bush.
"There is no indication of how it started," he said.