A popular brand of car fridge could lead to a car fire.
A popular brand of car fridge could lead to a car fire.

The car fridge that could do this to your vehicle

THE Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has told owners of a popular brand of car fridge to switch their appliance off immediately or risk their car being burned to the ground. 

The consumer watchdog warns a controller failure in the AKF60 Portable Compressor fridge/freezer may cause itto  stop working and could even cause a fire. 

"Consumers should disconnect the product from its power source and stop using it immediately," an alert from the ACCC read. 

The fridges were sold between October 1 and November 15 last year. 

The warning comes just days after a couple from Murphys Creek, near Toowoomba in Queensland, lost their home to a fire which it's believed was caused by a faulty washing machine. 

Though the incidents were completely unrelated, it is an illustration of what can happen when an everyday product malfunctions.

About 11.30pm on Saturday Chris Ramsay and Trent Campbell were sleeping while their friend Karn Sorensen slept in the guest room when the washing machine caught fire.

Mr Ramsay said he was woken to someone yelling "fire fire."

"At the first I didn't know what happened but we all rushed outside," he said.

"We were able to grab our mobiles and wallets and move our cars but otherwise the house is cactus.

"It is totally destroyed, most of the ceiling has collapsed and it feels quite surreal seeing the house the way it is now.

"This hasn't been our year but my partner and I have accepted what has happened and we will move on and be perfectly fine."

Chris Ramsay and Trent Campbell's Murphys Creek home burnt down on Saturday night due to their Samsung washing machine exploding.
Chris Ramsay and Trent Campbell's Murphys Creek home burnt down on Saturday night due to their Samsung washing machine exploding.

Mr Ramsay said he was shocked to find out it was his Samsung washing machine that caused the fire.

"It hadn't been run since Thursday and I always clean the lint," he said.

"When I spoke to the insurance company they said our model of machine had been recalled last year but I didn't know and up until now I haven't had any problems with it."

The couple is staying with family and friends at the moment and are unsure of where they will live in the future.

"The roof will collapse soon and I am pretty sure it will have to be demolished," Mr Ramsay said.

"We love living out here but if we rebuilt it would have to be something different because I will always have the image in my head of this house on fire."

Mr Ramsay wanted to thank his neighbours who came out to help on the night of the fire as well as the Murphys Creek community who has arranged support.

Chris Ramsay and Trent Campbell's Murphys Creek home burnt down on Saturday night due to their Samsung washing machine exploding.
Chris Ramsay and Trent Campbell's Murphys Creek home burnt down on Saturday night due to their Samsung washing machine exploding.

"We really appreciate everything everyone is doing for us, it means a lot," he said.

Insurance assessors were at the property today after Queensland Fire and Emergency Services finished their investigation.



Surfing scientists uncover mysteries of the ocean

Surfing scientists uncover mysteries of the ocean

How a morning surf is helping combat climate change

Arrest made after historical break-in

Arrest made after historical break-in

Herbal vaporisers and few thousand dollars cash stolen back in 2013

Cafe to close for refurbishments during 'low season'

Cafe to close for refurbishments during 'low season'

"There are no plans to close the cafe long term,”: CEO

Local Partners