Byron High evacuated
STUDENTS at Byron High School were evacuated today after concerns were raised about what appeared to be a leaking gas cylinder.
In an email to parents, relieving principal Donna Pearson said students were kept clear of the school until firefighters arrived to declare the area safe.
Ms Pearson said the cylinder had been filled this morning and firefighters told staff gas was forced out of the already full tank as it expanded in the heat of the day.
Firefighters checked the levels in all gas cylinders at the school before sounding the all clear.
"We are incredibly proud of how well our students responded to this evacuation today," Ms Pearson said in the email.