Council reminds of correct parking areas as school resumes
WITH school in NSW resuming tomorrow, Byron Shire Council has reminded parents and caregivers dropping off and picking up children at school to use the designated school parking areas.
Byron Shire Council's acting manager sustainable development, Chris Larkin, said parking officers will be at local schools next term issuing warnings and fines.
"Staff were at several schools prior to the school holidays improving safety awareness amongst drivers on where they could and couldn't park during school drop off and pickup times," Mr Larkin said.
"While we appreciate it can be a very busy time at schools during these times, parking safely in the right location is a priority. Not doing so can put children's lives at risk.
"The majority of people are using the right areas, but there are some who feel they can double park or park in the bus zones.
"While you may think you 'won't be long' it is this type of behavior that puts children at risk as often it causes additional congestion and lines of site are obscured.
"People caught double parking and in bus zones will be fined."
Dropping children off a little earlier or later, parking further away from the school and walking a child to the gate, or carpooling, are good ways to avoid the traffic queue.
"Unfortunately, some people feel they have a right to disregard the signs and regulations," Mr Larkin said.
"And if you are found parking incorrectly, you could end up with a $425 fine and 2 demerit points lost.
"Probably the most significant 'Safety Reminder' may well be that a single vehicle can obstruct a large bus and have a ripple affect on the subsequent traffic and safety conditions lasting way beyond the original event.
"Small indiscretions can have a large impact on the safety of buses, cars and their passengers, pedestrians and cyclists."
- Always take extra care in 40km/h school zones, which operate on each gazetted school day.
- Park safely even if it means walking further to the school gate.
- Observe all parking signs - they are planned with children's safety in mind.
- Fines and demerit points apply if you park illegally.
- Never double park - it puts children at risk.
- Model safe and considerate behaviour for your child - they will learn from you.
- Slow down near the school crossing.
- At a supervised crossing, observe the directions of the school crossing supervisor.
Losses of demerit points apply when certain offences are committed in an operating school zone.
For example, a minimum penalty of a $415 fine and the loss of 2 demerit points apply for stopping or parking a vehicle on or near a pedestrian crossing, children's crossing and marked foot crossing.
School zones penalties include:
- Stop in a bus zone (in school zone) - $319 and 2 demerit points.
- Stop in bus zone(not clearway or transit/bus lane) - $248 no demerit points.
- Double park in school zone - $319 and 2 demerit points.
- Stop on/near children's crossing (in school zone) - $425 and 2 demerit points.
- Disobey no stopping sign (in school zone) - $319 and 2 demerit points
- Disobey no parking sign (in school zone) - $177 and 2 demerit points.