Twin bridges on road to completion
SEVERAL milestones will be reached on the Ballina bypass by the end of July, including the completion of the Teven Road twin bridges.
Over the next two months, the Ballina Bypass Alliance will also start road construction around the twin bridges.
The Emigrant Creek south balanced cantilever bridge will be finished, along with the flood relief bridges over Emigrant Creek north and at Cumbalum.
Other construction works happening between now and the end of July include:
• Final works and landscaping on the section from Upper Sandy Flat to Ross Lane bridge.
• Completion of rock blasting north of Ross Lane.
• Start of work on the northern tie-in to the existing highway north of Ross Lane.
• Start of paving between Cumbalum and Upper Sandy Flat.
• Completion of the paving from Upper Sandy Flat to the Ross Lane bridge.
It is expected more than 1800 jobs will be provided during the construction phase of the bypass, which will deliver 11.5km of dual carriageway.
Once the bypass is opened at the end of 2012 drivers will save about 12 minutes in travelling time.