BASKETBALL: Corey Webster's season has gone from bad to worse with the New Zealand Breakers point guard put on indefinite injury leave.
The 28-year-old was stood down earlier this month for a match after appeared in court on an assault charge following an early-morning incident at an Auckland bar.
Webster is due back in court on December 20 after being granted bail.
Breakers coach Paul Henare said Webster also needed time to recover from foot, hip and back injuries, which have hindered his NBL season so far.
The club released a statement ahead, saying it was seeking a replacement for him.
The Breakers said they hoped to get a player in ahead of the round-12 clash against the Kings in Sydney on December 30.
Henare said Webster needed time to get his body right.
"We have made the call to give Corey that chance to get himself fully fit, to seek out the best rehab programme available away from the pressure of playing, training and travelling,” he said.
"We felt it was time for him to step back and get himself healthy.”
Webster said he was disappointed with the decision.
"I am just so frustrated - this has been a difficult season for me and a constant struggle to be 100% healthy, to be 100% right physically and mentally,” he said.
"This decision isn't easy either, and is hard to accept, to be honest.
"I am a player, and just want to play and contribute.”
The club has not put a time frame on Webster's return to the NBL, but expects it to be medium to long term.
The Breakers face Perth Wildcats on Thursday night in a rematch of last year's grand final.
They are second-bottom on the ladder after losing five of their last six matches.