UPDATE: SCHOOLS affected by bomb threats this morning have gotten back to normal after being evacuated. Richmond LAC confirmed that the threats were a hoax and each school was given the all clear.
Richmond River High School, one of the affected schools thanked staff and students for their patience during the event on their Facebook page.
I would like to thank all of our students, staff and visitors for their cooperation with today’s evacuation. The school...Posted by The Rivers Secondary College Richmond River High Campus on Wednesday, 10 February 2016
INITIAL: BALLINA High School,Richmond River High School, and Banora Point Primary School have received simultaneous hoax bomb threats, forcing the evacuation of all three schools just after 10.30am this morning.
Richmond Local Area Command Sergeant Dave Longfield said Ballina High School received a phone call at about 10.35am from an unknown person claiming there was a bomb planted in the school.
Staff informed local police immediately and the school was evacuated.
Ballina police attended the school minutes later and conducted an extensive search operation.
Sergeant Longfield said once the school had been cleared and properly checked, students were allowed to return at about 11.45am.
Similar emergency procedures were being undertaken at Richmond River High School and Banora Point Public School at the same time.
Richmond River High School posted on their Facebook page the following message:
The school is currently in an evacuation. The students are on the back oval and SAFE. The police are managing the situation. Please do not attend the school or try to call. P Howes
A spate of similar hoax bomb threats across the state in recent weeks have prompted the establishment of a strike force by the State Crime Command to find the culprits responsible.
Schools in Queensland have also received a number of bomb threats. Read the story here