A blue bottle may be responsible for an allergic reaction at beach.
A blue bottle may be responsible for an allergic reaction at beach. Karen Longworth Browne

Blue bottle may be responsible for allergic reaction in teen

NSW Ambulance is responding to reports of a 13-year-old girl experiencing an allergic reaction.

It is believed she may have been stung by a blue bottle at Belongil Beach.

Surf Life Saving Australia Far North Coast Duty Officer Jimmy Keough said there were a lot of blue bottles right along the east coast at the moment, with warmer conditions and strong north easterly winds bringing them to shore.

Mr Keough said the strength of stings seemed to be particularly potent over recent weeks, with some patients requiring ambulance attention.

He said if beachgoers are worried about blue bottles, they should check with life guards at patrolled beaches about conditions.

Visiting the beach in the early morning before the wind picks up is advised.

Mr Keough said if numerous blue bottle stings are reported, surf life savers would make an announcement and close the beach.

If stung, he recommended removing the sting, bathing the area with warm (not too hot) and applying ice to the affected area.

If it doesn't improve, seek medical help.



How UM hits back at tabloid TV scrutiny

premium_icon How UM hits back at tabloid TV scrutiny

Supporters of the group have mocked the media in online videos

CLOSED: Beaches, parks, campsites off limits until Wednesday

premium_icon CLOSED: Beaches, parks, campsites off limits until Wednesday

Parks, campsites and beach vehicle access closed off

Where there's smoke there's a Junkyard BBQ

Where there's smoke there's a Junkyard BBQ

New American style catering company comes to town