Bike riding in Broadwater 100 years old
NEARLY 100 years ago in Broadwater there were some keen cyclists, so much so that the Broadwater Cycle Club was formed on Wednesday, April 23, 1913.
There were 20 people who became members straight away, with Mr W Silkirk voted in as chairman and Mr A Williams as president.
On May 31, 1913 the club held its first road race over a portion of the Woodburn Rd despite wet weather.
There were 12 people who entered the race over the 4.5 mile track and winners were: 1st W Selkirk, 2nd P Fitzpatrick and 3rd G Maloney.
The road races seemed to become a popular event, with others being held monthly after that.
It wasn't all racing as the club held many socials in the Albert Hall at Broadwater, which were always well attended.
The club hit a low in 1915 when membership and cycle races waned, possibly due to a number of members enlisting to go to war.
After the war, road races continued to be an event in the Broadwater area, with the cycle club holding many of them for special events.
It was on September 3, 1927, however, the final road race of the Broadwater Cycle Club before it wound up was held over a distance of two miles.
The race was for members only and final winners were: 1st R Sharpe, 2nd D Sharpe, 3rd E Fischer and 4th O Fischer.
All was not lost for cycling lovers in the area, however, with a new cycling club formed in 1940.
The club planned to run its races on a weekly basis.