Biggest bikie bust uncovers major drugs, weapons

EXPLOSIVES, guns and balaclavas were discovered during one of the biggest bikie busts in Sydney's recent criminal history, police have revealed.

Gang squad detectives uncovered a major drugs and weapons cache in a storage safe-house allegedly owned by the Hells Angels gang during a special operation earlier this year.

More than 36 people have been brought before the courts since March but for operational reasons, police were unable to release details until Tuesday.

During the raids, officers allegedly found 10 sticks of Powergel explosives with detonators, four rifles, a shotgun, three pistols including a key ring pistol, three silencers, a large quantity of ammunition, 10 firearm magazines, various firearm parts, two stun guns, 3kg of the illicit drug Nexus, night vision goggles, balaclavas and gloves.

Two of the guns were linked to serious crimes.

Police said explosives, which have since been destroyed, were capable of causing significant damage and even death.

Deputy NSW Police Commissioner Catherine Burn said the cache showed the "incredible lengths" bikies were prepared to go to arm and protect themselves and further their criminal empires.

"The fact that any person would store explosives capable of causing significant damage in the heart of the Sydney CBD shows the blatant disregard organised criminal groups have for the safety of the public," Dep Com Burn said

"The community can be assured that we will continue to use all the resources available to us to target these criminal groups, disrupt their activities and remove dangerous weapons from the streets of Sydney."



Beloved pub to reopen under new management

Beloved pub to reopen under new management

Ballina pub set to reopen its doors

$70k debt: Former mayor's company could lose property

premium_icon $70k debt: Former mayor's company could lose property

The company has defaulted on a loan with Southern Cross Credit Union

Charges dropped against man accused of filming in toilets

premium_icon Charges dropped against man accused of filming in toilets

Only one charge remained and the 45-year-old pleaded guilty to it

Local Partners