Big win over North Coast earns team a clash with Riverina
NORTHERN Rivers has advanced to the semi-finals of the NSW Country Rugby League Championships by thumping North Coast 56-14 at Coffs Harbour.
Byron Bay winger Dan Lollback scored two tries to help Northern Rivers to a 20-0 lead at half-time in the second tier clash.
The score reached 32-0 when halfback Roy Bell converted his own try early in the second half.
Ballina second-rower Anthony Colman, Cudgen’s Jake Sands and Tweed Coast winger Guy Lanston finished the game with try-scoring doubles.
“Roy was a menace with the ball and really kept the oppoostion guessing,” NRRRL president Brian Rix said.
“It was a really strong showing from our guys and we were pretty confident going in.”
Marist Brothers’ Jack Durheim and Mitchell Krause were stand- outs along with Bell.
Northern Rivers will head to Dubbo this weekend where they will play Riverina.
“We beat them two years ago and this side is just as good as what we had then,” Rix said.
“The boys were ecstatic after the game yesterday and we’ll give it a good crack (at Dubbo).”
NORTHERN RIVERS 56 (Dan Lollback 2, Anthony Coleman 2, Jake Sands 2, Guy Lanston 2, Roy Bell, Jared de Thierry tries; Roy Bell 7, Jake Sands goals) d NORTH COAST 14 (Mitch Gorman, Tim Bridge, Luke Beaumont tries; Lachie Miller 2 goals). Half-time: 20-0.
In NRRRL games:
- Murwillumbah scored a late try to snatch a 22-18 win over Evans Head at Stan Payne Oval, Evans Head, on Saturday. The Bombers will be forced to go without halfback Trevor Bolt again this weekend when he is away on representative duty.
- Northern United had their third straight win when they belted Kyogle 56-14 at Clifford Park, Goonellabah, yesterday.
- Tweed Coast recorded their second win of the season with an impressive 22-0 effort against Marist Brothers at Les Burger Field, Cabarita.
- Cudgen front-rowers Caleb Ziebell and Simon Kelly led their side to a 21-14 win over Byron Bay at Red Devil Park, Byron Bay.
- Casino defeated Ballina (score unavailable last night).