Begbie won’t throw in towel
GAVIN Begbie may not bring the curtain down on his fighting career just yet, despite seeing his hopes of regional boxing glory dashed.
Woodburn fighter Begbie put in a brave display but lost out to Paul Horwarth in the pair's North Coast Middleweight Masters title fight. Murwillumbah's Horwarth repeated his victory of last month in Condong, by taking a unanimous points decision in Saturday night's return contest.
Despite the loss, 45-year-old Begbie, who was only competing for the second time after several years away from the ring, was a contented man afterwards.
"I loved it," he said. "I was really happy with the way I fought.
"I thought I was winning, so I was gutted not to get the verdict.
"I'm on a high at the moment, so I will say I will fight again.
"We will see what happens."
Forty-four-year-old Horwath was delighted with the win and also paid tribute to his opponent's efforts.
"He surprised me," Horwath said. "He was 20 times better than when I fought him last time.
"He was a tough opponent (and) I wasn't sure I had won until they told me.
"I feel great getting the win."
Horwarth thanked his trainer Stewart Stone for his efforts.
He also thanked organisers of the event, which was held at the Woodburn-Evans Head RSL club, for their "professional" efforts.
It was a successful night, with a healthy crowd enjoying some top bouts.
The night featured other North Coast belt title fights as well as non-competitive contests in different divisions and age groups.
Several fighters from across northern New South Wales took part in the event, with plenty of the region's representatives involved.
Casino's Clinton Skinner was among those in action, seeing off Lower Maclean's Dean Goodwin on points in their super lightweight fight. Another Ballina competitor Blake Roberts was one of the night's most impressive performers beating Moree's Luke Robertson with a second round stoppage in their cruiserweight bout.