Beaten up in school playground
WOODENBONG Central School student Robbie Mills had warned his teachers he expected to be beaten up in the playground.
On Thursday, the 17-year-old's predictions of violence were proven.
At 11.05am, just as the school bell was ringing to announce the start of recess, two students aged 14 and 15 allegedly set upon Robbie as he sat on a wooden bench on the veranda outside the maths and science classroom.
“I had been threatened before and was expecting the attack. The school had tried to keep me and him apart,” the Year 11 student said.
“I am sort of cross about it, but it's just one of those things. I just want to get back to my school work. I will stay at the school but I don't know if that other kid will last long the way he is acting.”
Robbie suffered two grazes along his hairline and scratches and bruises to his legs and torso in the attack.
He said he believed he had blacked out during the attack. He was taken to Urbenville Hospital and kept under observation for some hours before being released.
The latest incident of schoolyard violence comes within weeks of a scuffle which cost the life of Mullumbimby High School student Jai Morcom.
Woodenbong police Senior Constable Michael Chaffey said he would be interviewing the two alleged assailants in Kyogle on Monday.
A 17-year-old student, the older brother of one of the boys, will also be interviewed in relation to the incident.
The 17-year-old may be charged with assault, while the younger boys are facing charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, affray or recklessly causing actual bodily harm.
Snr Const Chaffey said it appeared the incident stemmed from a 'personal dispute' between Robbie Mills and the other 17-year-old which had found its way into the school yard.
It is alleged the 17-year-old approached Robbie before school and threatened him with violence. It is understood the student was immediately suspended and sent home.
Snr Const Chaffey said his interviews with teachers who witnessed the incident were on- going.
Although school principal Greg Wilson said he was unavailable for comment yesterday, it is understood he has been offering counselling for students who witnessed the alleged attack.
In a statement Dr Wilson said Woodenbong Central School did not tolerate any violence, and any instances were immediately followed up according to the school's community-agreed welfare and discipline code.
Snr Const Chaffey said police and the community were disappointed by the incident because the school was normally a very safe environment.
“The school has done well to maintain such a good environment in the face of a wide range of ages and demographics,” he said.