Work to begin at Angels Beach
IT has taken eight years, 10 court cases, two appeals and millions of dollars, but building work is about to start at Angels Beach North Estate.
Last week Lennox Head developer Chris Condon was given the piece of paper that he has wanted for a long time – the subdivision certificate from Ballina Shire Council.
It was a landmark moment.
“I’m just really excited that we have finally reached this point,” he said.
It’s been a tough and challenging battle to develop the 10-hectare site at East Ballina.
There were numerous objections from Aboriginal elders Susan and Douglas Anderson, who fought hard for many years to stop the controversial Angels Beach development.
They claimed the area had ‘high cultural significance’ for the Bundjalung’s Numbahjing clan.
Mr Condon’s legal bills are believed to have cost him millions of dollars over the eight years.
But he just refused to give up.
“I’ve been tenacious, not stubborn,” he said.
“It’s been worth it because I have always believed in this project.
“We have now raised the bar and the standard to one that has never been seen before in the Ballina shire.”
About $6.5 million has been spent on the head works at the estate, including site construction, roads and parks.
Blocks of land are selling between $300,000 and $600,000, with lot sizes ranging from 400sqm to 1200sqm.
Already 16 of the first 21 blocks have been sold.
Mr Condon expects at least 10 of those buyers to lodge development applications with the council in the near future.
“Construction could start within the next six weeks,” he said.
The second stage – another 21 blocks – will be released on Monday.
The site will have over 60 residential homes and two cluster housing precincts for upmarket townhouses and villas once it is finished.