Ballina is finally on track
STEWARDS have given Ballina the all clear for the race meeting today to go ahead with much of the racing surface better than the official heavy 10 rating.
Steward Tim Saladine inspected the track and found that the section from the 1300m to the winning post was no worse than slow.
"The problem section is from the winning post to the 1400m, which is heavy," Saladine said.
"However, if this good weather continues that could get better.
"Ballina missed most of the heavy rain that fell on Tuesday night, which has helped."
An overall track rating always refers to the heaviest section.
Meanwhile, talented apprentice Matthew McGuren will continue his return to race riding on the John Shelton-trained Beau Lake in the Rob Ward Electrical Maiden Handicap (1000m).
McGuren was the toast of racing when he won the statewide Rising Star Series for apprentices last year but soon after that increasing weight forced him out of the saddle.
Recently he returned to Grafton from Taree to be with his mother following the death of his father and has now linked up again with his original master, Alan Ryan, on loan.
McGuren rode in five trials leading up to his return and snared a late ride in a recent apprentices' race at Grafton in which he finished midfield.
He has also been booked for one ride at Grafton on Monday as he eases himself back into race riding.
Beau Lake is resuming and at his only start ran second in an 800m maiden at Coffs Harbour last October.
Gold Coast trainer Bryan Guy will not be running top weight Anagold in the Taylor's Wines Open Handicap (1600m) but believes he can win it with Dienekes, to be ridden by apprentice Janette Johnson.
Anagold will run at Eagle Farm on Saturday.
"Dienekes has terrific form on rain-affected tracks and two of his three runs since resuming have been good," Guy said.
"I was a little disappointed with his last start when he ran fifth at Eagle Farm but his third on the Gold Coast the start before was a terrific effort.
"I think he is very well in on the weights and Janette's claim helps further."
Guy could well leave with a double with Winning Recipe set to take the cake when she resumes in the Shaws Bay Hotel Maiden Handicap (1300m).
"It certainly looks a winnable race for her and her second in a trial leading into this was very good," Guy said.
GRAHAME TIMBRELL'S SELECTIONS
- Race 1: DIENEKES 1, Horoscopes 2, Slipstreams 3, Deebee Cooper 4.
- Race 2: SILENT CREEK 1, Trajet2, Untouchable Adam 3, Object Of Virtue 4.
- Race 3: WINNING RECIPE 1, Call Me Gus 2, Thaiday 3, Jura 4.
- Race 4: REGAL TIER 1, Elkalato 2, Dance With Dragons 3, Illuminism 4.
- Race 5: KEENINSKA 1, Al Jaamih 2, Offset Prince 3, Outback Gambler 4.
- Race 6: MOUNTAIN PRINCE 1, Count Kawana 2, Beau Lake 3, Powers That Be 4.
- Race 7: TAAJIR 1, Karl The Great 2, Industrialism 3, Tycoon Sun 4.
- Race 8: YO FERDINAND 1, Aimalac Burra 2, Lucky Mojo 3, Bay Alert 4.
- BEST BETS: Winning Recipe, Mountain Prince.