Menu
News

No bail for ‘frightening’ attacks

GOONELLABAH dad Jed Vincent remains in police custody after being accused of attacking three teenagers in Nimbin on New Year’s Eve.

A Lismore magistrate refused him bail yesterday, saying the allegations against him were ‘frightening’.

Vincent, 25, had been earlier refused bail by a Court Registrar following his arrest last Friday. The tearful father of one pleaded for release, saying his pregnant wife was due to give birth to their second child and he had missed the first birth by being in jail.

Vincent is charged with affray; three counts of assault; trespass; and destroying/damaging property in Nimbin at 2am on January 1.

Prosecutor Sgt Peter Costin-Neilsen opposed bail, stating the alleged assaults were unprovoked and on innocent young people, with Vincent alleged to have chased them down the street. He said Vincent had previous matters of violence on his record.

Defence lawyer Vince Boss said he had instructions from his client to plead not guilty, although his previous police history ‘speaks for itself’.

He said Vincent, when charged with previous offences, attended court when required and although police stated it was a strong case, the strength of the case relied on teenage boys ‘wandering the streets’ at 2.30am on New Year’s morning. He said there were likely issues of alcohol consumption.

Mr Boss said he had been instructed by family and friends of Vincent that the witnesses did not wish to pursue the matter.

He said if bail was granted Vincent’s father would pay a $1000 surety and he could live at Ballina, away from Nimbin.

Mr Boss said Vincent had an acquired head injury and his police history indicated that alcohol played a factor with his client, who was sentenced last year on similar matters that happened in 2008.

Sgt Costin-Neilsen said he had no knowledge on whether the teenagers intended pursuing the matter.

Magistrate Nicholas Reimer said the teenagers could not have been too affected by alcohol as they were able to phone triple-0.

“The allegations are very frightening as far as the victims are concerned. Grabbing them in a headlock, bringing them down to the ground, chasing them,” Mr Reimer said.

“And his background of violence. And while on parole for an offence of violence. I’m not prepared to grant bail.”

With bail refused the matter was adjourned to January 15.



New service road between villages as bypass is built

All contracts for the Woolgoolga to Ballina bypass have been awarded and will provide plenty of jobs.

Residents will be able to avoid bypass construction

$5 million deal for macadamia company

Deputy Premier John Barilaro and Member for Lismore Thomas George visit MPC in Alphadale to announce a NSW Government loan of more than $5 million.

Loan puts processor on a global footing.

Cafe to reopen its doors after four months

Cafe Cognito will be officially open for business again this week, with Chloe Jolley employed as their full time barista.

Goonellbah café will open again tomorrow

Local Partners