Cedar log won't be moved, but it won't be cleaned up either
LISMORE'S cedar log has inspired great debate at Lismore City Council in recent weeks and following a major backflip on Tuesday night it now appears the log's fate has been decided.
Only a month after voting to relocate the log to a more prominent position, the council on Tuesday voted to formally rescind its original vote, opting to leave the log where it is.
"We didn't have all the information at hand to make the right decision," Councillor Isaac Smith said.
Cr Smith led the original motion to have the log moved as part of the $60,000 City Hall redevelopment fund public art project.
The initial suggestion was to relocate the log to the corner of Molesworth and Bounty Sts, remove its tiled roof and possibly commission a local artist to add "interpretive" carvings to it.
Cr Smith said he had been approached by several people protesting such a move and seeking to correct misinformation about the log's origins, some who were involved in the original operation to cut and transport the log from the Kyogle district in 1967.
As the public art project funds will now be allocated to another project, no money is available in the 2013-14 budget to improve the log memorial and include an information panel about its history, so it is unclear when, or if any, work will actually take place on the site.