Police comb the Ocean Shores property.
Police comb the Ocean Shores property.

Woman charged with murdering husband

By Alex Easton

OCEAN Shores woman Regina Veinstein admitted to killing her husband, detailing how she did it and where she disposed of his remains before her arrest on Thursday night.

But facing Lismore Local Court yesterday Veinstein, 43, pleaded not guilty to a charge of murder, with her lawyer telling Magistrate Jeff Linden Veinstein believed her husband, Ronen Veinstein, was still alive. Going through the police allegations from the bench, Magistrate Jeff Linden said Veinstein had admitted killing Ronen Veinstein to three different people. In those admissions, Veinstein had described how she had killed her husband and the events immediately after his death. In her admissions on Thursday she described how she had burned her husband's body and precisely where she had scattered his remains on the couple's Mooball property. Police spent yesterday scouring that location and Mr Linden said that the search had yielded 'forensic material'.

However, Veinstein's Legal Aid solicitor Tracey Randall told the court that police had no solid evidence against her client. In a bail application for Veinstein, Ms Randall said the material gathered by police had not yet been properly identified and, as such, proved nothing. Veinstein's admissions could not be taken seriously because she was suffering depression triggered by the birth of her three children and reinforced by her husband's disappearance in December 2004, she said.

Ms Randall said her depression had become so serious that the father of Veinstein's first child had recently come down from North Queensland to help her. He was now caring for all the children while his former partner was in custody. However, Mr Linden rejected the bail application, pointing to the time spent on the investigation that on Thursday night led to Veinstein's arrest.

The police case included the fact that Veinstein was the last person seen with her husband in December 2004 and that she did not report him missing when he disappeared. It was an associate of Ronen Veinstein's who eventually went to police in May 2005.

Extensive police inquiries 'failed to find any evidence of him being alive after December 2004', Mr Linden said. Mr Linden adjourned the case to Lismore Local Court on November 20, with Veinstein to appear via video link. However, Ms Randall said Veinstein may launch a fresh bail application on October 16.

How Blaze the drug dog starred in ecstasy bust

premium_icon How Blaze the drug dog starred in ecstasy bust

His superior powers of smell were put to work

Deadly highway intersection on council's agenda

premium_icon Deadly highway intersection on council's agenda

A councillor has asked for "urgent funding” to fix the site

REVEALED: The biggest issue Page wants Kevin Hogan to fix

premium_icon REVEALED: The biggest issue Page wants Kevin Hogan to fix

Residents across Page have been asking for one thing

Local Partners