Simone Strobel inquest likely
By ZOE SATHERLEY
A CORONIAL inquest into the death of German tourist Simone Strobel appears likely after Lismore Coroner Michael Knock yesterday confirmed a post-mortem examination into the death was now complete.
Mr Knock yesterday said the post-mortem results had been finalised, but that they would not be made public so as not to compromise ongoing police investigations.
Mr Knock confirmed that State Coroner John Abernethy had been instrumental in fast-tracking the results.
However, while he would not comment on the results, Mr Knock said it was likely an inquest would have to be held into the 25-year-old German tourist's death.
Simone Strobel's badly decomposed body was found on February 17, six days after she went missing from Lismore Tourist Caravan Park in Dawson Street.
Her body was found under palm fronds in the grounds of Lismore Continental Club, metres from busy Uralba Street footpath linking Lismore Shopping Square to the CBD and near the caravan park.
Under the Coroner's Act, Mr Knock said an inquest was called for in cases where five basic questions cannot be answered about a person's death and where there was a strong public interest in the case. These questions are the identity of the deceased per- son, the date and place of death and the manner and cause of death.
If, in the meantime, police charge someone over Simone's death, the matter would then become a criminal prosecution instead of a coronial inquiry and an inquest would not need to be held, he said.