Shopper hits a snag with sausages
By SAMANTHA TURNBULL
KAYLA CLAPHAM may have saved the life of her 18-month-old daughter Keely Johns when she discovered what looked like a shark's tooth in her lunch.
The New Italy mum was breaking a sausage in half for her toddler when she found a 3cm piece of sharp plastic embedded in the meat.
"If I didn't find it she would've choked," said Kayla. "It looked like a shark's tooth ? I'm glad I didn't give her the full sausage."
Moments later Kayla's brother Jackson, 10, and mother Keryn Clapham also found shards of plastic lodged inside the same batch of sausages, bought from Coles supermarket in the Lismore Shopping Square more than two weeks ago.
Keryn said she took the plastic pieces and packaging back to the supermarket two days later and demanded to speak to the manager.
"I spoke to someone from the meat department and he offered me a refund of $6, but I wasn't after any money," she said.
"I wanted to speak to the manager to see where the plastic had come from and tell him it was a safety hazard, so they took my name and phone number."
After two weeks of waiting for a re- sponse, the Claphams had heard nothing from the supermarket manager.
When contacted by The Northern Star yesterday, the manag- er said he would try to call them as soon as possible but he could not comment any further.
A spokesman from Coles head office in Sydney said the sau- sages were manufac- tured off-site and Coles staff were only responsible for packag- ing of the meat.
He said the plastic would be sent to their quality control centre to be examined.
Keryn said the shards looked like they had been part of a chopping board.
"You couldn't see it sticking through the sausages from the out- side," she said.
"The only way they could've got inside the middle of the sausages was when they were actually being made."