Police blitz getting results
By SAMANTHA TURNBULL
POLICE have charged two people on a series of robberies in Goonellabah one week after a special task force was set up to fight crime in the suburb.
Richmond Local Area commander, Supt Bruce Lyons, said Joseph Walker, 21, was arrested on Thursday in relation to the alleged armed robberies of Video Ezy last month and the Goon Wah Chinese Restaurant two weeks ago in Rous Road.
Walker was yesterday refused bail in Lismore Local Court on charges including armed robbery, aggravated break-and-enter with intent to commit an indictable offence, and concealing a serious indictable offence.
A juvenile was also arrested on Thursday in relation to a number of home invasions in Goonellabah.
The boy was yesterday granted bail in Lismore Children's Court.
He was charged with armed robbery, also assault occasioning bodily harm, and aggravated break-andenter.
Supt Lyons said there had already been a marked reduction in Goonellabah's crime rate as a result of the arrests.
"As a consequence of those arrests, together with persons arrested recently in relation to serious offences in Goonellabah, there has been a noticeable reduction in property and robbery offences," he said.
"The arrest of the persons over the last week is an indication of the commitment of the new task force to clear-up the breakand-enters and robberies that have quite clearly impacted on the community.
"I look forward to further arrests being made in the near future."
Walker is due to reappear in Lismore Local Court on November 2, while the juvenile's case was adjourned until November 12 in Lismore Children's Court.