Out of the frying pan, but not into the fire
By HELEN JACK
THE quick actions of an Alstonville landlord and a nearby resident saved Cafe Giardino from being destroyed yesterday.
After being alerted to a fire in the kitchen of the popular main street restaurant, the men were able to access the building and extinguish the fire about 12.30pm.
Fire brigades from Alstonville and Goonellabah attended the scene with Wollongbar's Hazmat crew.
Alstonville station commander and crew captain Jeff Snow said a deep fryer had been left unattended.
"The fat in the cooker had overheated and ignited with the fire going into the chimney. There is smoke damage and a little structural damage to the building. The men had the fire under control when fire crews arrived."
Fire and Hazmat crews remained at the scene airing the kitchen and removing the hot fat. The fire is being investigated by police.