Man dies in Nimbin fire
By BREE PRICE
NIMBIN resident Lorraine Nugent woke just after midnight to the sound of a blaze which took the life of a 42year-old neighbour.
"There were just flames, red-hot flames," the Kirklands Road resident said yesterday morning, hours after the blaze.
"They weren't very high, but they were very intense.
"My husband grabbed the garden house and went up to the house, but there was nothing he could do.
"The house was engulfed by flames and there was smoke billowing up. I didn't think the smoke was ever going to clear. It was choking."
She said she was shocked by the man's death.
"We're shaken by it," she said.
"Everyone up this road is good friends. We all know each other.
"I just can't believe it has happened. It's so sad a man has died."
Police believe skeletal remains found at the scene are those of a 42-year-old Nimbin resident who lived at the Kirklands Road house.
At about 12.15am police and the Rural Fire Service were called to the property where a timber house was fully ablaze.
Witnesses at the scene told police a man was still inside the house, but rescue attempts failed because of the intensity of the fire.
A police media spokes- person said a post-mortem examination would be conducted to identify the deceased.
Police inquiries into the cause of the blaze are continuing.
Rural Fire Service superintendent Boyd Townsend said it took three brigades more than four hours to contain the blaze.
The Nimbin, Goolmangar and Stony Chute brigades attended.
He said at about 9.15am the Rural Fire Service was called back to the scene because the fire had reignited.
Police detectives and forensic officers also attended.