Lismore unit gutted by fire

By RENEE REDMOND

RESIDENTS from six Lismore units will be forced to relocate after a fire early yesterday morning.

Sergeant Jackie Lilley said one unit in the block adjoining Lismore Court House in Zadoc Street was completely burnt out.

The fire started when a candle caught alight on some bed sheets in the unit.

Sgt Lilley said the fire was accidental and the resident, who was awake, tried to extinguish it but failed.

The woman told other residents to evacuate before her unit became engulfed.

No one was injured but the damage bill was estimated at $100,000.

Sgt Lilley said the building was structurally safe but the electrical damage had not been assessed.

The unit block had been seriously damaged by smoke and water and residents were told yesterday they would only be allowed back in to collect their belongings.

"At this stage we're not sure of the risk to residents returning to the building, particularly with the state of the electrical system," she said.

The fire was reported at 2.20am yesterday and the Lismore Town Fire Brigade attended to extinguish it before it spread to the other units.

The fire was under control within an hour but all units were affected by smoke, water and fire.

The group of residents will be relocated by their real es- tate agent.



Tabulam warned after fire jumps Clarence River

Tabulam warned after fire jumps Clarence River

Bruxner Highway between Tenterfield and Casino is closed

Highway traffic heavy after car, trailer rolled over

Highway traffic heavy after car, trailer rolled over

Heavy traffic conditions on Pacific Mwy after "bad smash"

Make your own coffee cup and join the War on Waste

premium_icon Make your own coffee cup and join the War on Waste

"Little changes can make a huge difference".

Local Partners