Lismore Cup a late call

By STEVE SPINKS sport@northernstar.com.au LISMORE Turf Club officials will wait a further month before making a final decision about the viability of this year's Lismore Cup.

The cup, which was scheduled for last Thursday, has been postponed due to equine influenza.

The turf club made the decision early last month to postpone rather than cancel the event that regularly attracts 10,000 punters to the Lismore Racecourse. The postponed dated is November 29.

"Basically we're waiting to see if our horses will be vaccinated," Turf Club secretary-manager Michael Timbrell said.

"When that happens we'll have a much better indication of the running of the cup.

"NSW Racing's chief steward has said that Rosehill, Wyong, Gosford, Newcastle and Kembla Grange have all been vaccinated and that they are looking at vaccinating two country areas, the North Coast and the Riverina.

"We're hopeful that horses up here will receive a vaccination."

However, the Northern Rivers racing industry will not be automatically covered if local horses receive the vaccine.

Stock receive an initial shot and then a booster two weeks later and it takes a further week after that for the horses to become immune.

Timbrell said the club would most likely make a decision on the cup on November 1.

Meanwhile, the Ballina Jockey Club may be racing again in a fortnight.

Officials are happy with the closed meeting the club held last Friday and it's believed the club may be granted a second meeting on October 18.

The jockey club, which postponed its cup meeting from September 13 to mid-November, will also be making a%decision on its cup carnival in the following weeks.



'I knew I'd been bitten as soon as the shark hit me'

premium_icon 'I knew I'd been bitten as soon as the shark hit me'

Surfer shares terrifying moment a shark attacked him

'I have HIV and I'm going to kill you all'

premium_icon 'I have HIV and I'm going to kill you all'

Alleged hospital syringe attacker's terrifying threat

New $21 million development a 'travesty', residents say

New $21 million development a 'travesty', residents say

Concern approval will be a "green light for four-storey development"

Local Partners