Junior rugby considers its options
By STEVE SPINKS
THE Far North Coast Junior Rugby Union may re-schedule Under-17 matches to avoid any repeat of the alcohol fuelled attack on Casino supporters and players at Yamba last Friday night.
As reported in The Northern Star yesterday, a Casino player was punched in the head and players and parents were pelted with rocks and full stubbies by a 'drunken mob' following an Under-17 match between Yamba and Casino at Yamba Oval.
Witnesses said about 150 people, mostly 16- and 17-year-olds, were involved in the attack.
They were not members of the Yamba or Casino clubs.
FNCJRU president Mick Melino said the incident had been discussed at the zone meeting on Sunday.
"There has been some discussion about moving Under-17s to Saturday mornings," Melino said.
"But it would be difficult as a lot of kids work then."
However, Melino believes that most of the problems could be overcome if the Under-17 games were played earlier in the evening.
Usually, the younger age groups are played first on Fridays.
"Perhaps we could put the Under-17 game first rather than last," Melino said.
"If clubs agreed to do that, we'd support it.
"Yamba tried to do the right thing and had hired a security guard for the night, but he was unable to do much because the ground is a public place and is not fenced off."
Melino said the FNCJRU would not discipline the Yamba club because the instigators were not associated with the Buccaneers.