BRAWL BRUISES: Rex Hunt showing the results of last Friday night?s altercation in Byron Bay. One of the youths involved in the
BRAWL BRUISES: Rex Hunt showing the results of last Friday night?s altercation in Byron Bay. One of the youths involved in the

I?M 60 ... I?LL STILL TAKE YOU DOWN

By TABATHA FULKER

Boys claim Rex Hunt baited them during fight

THE father of one of the teenage boys involved in a brawl with TV celebrity Rex Hunt has defended the actions of his son and mates.

The father, who wishes to remain anonymous to protect his son's identity, told The Northern Star he believes 'Rex Hunt has used his media contacts to put across an incorrect view of what occurred'.

"The police did not charge anyone because they determined that the boys did not start the brawl but had acted in self defence," he said.

His son said Mr Hunt had goaded his friends into trying to fight him. "I don't have a problem with tourists," the 16-year-old told The Northern Star.

"I said to Rex Hunt, 'I'm not involved in this' but he said to me, 'I'm 60 and I'll still take you on. I'll take you down'."

The youth's claims are in stark contrast to allegations made by Mr Hunt about a pre-meditated attack on his party.

A spokesman for Rex Hunt Enterprises said it remained unknown whether Mr Hunt would pursue legal action against the boys.

THE father of one of the teenage boys involved in a brawl with TV celebrity Rex Hunt has defended the actions of his son and mates.

The father, who wishes to remain anonymous to protect his son's identity, told The Northern Star he believes 'Rex Hunt has used his media contacts to put across an incorrect view of what occurred'.

"The police did not charge anyone because they determined that the boys did not start the brawl but had acted in self defence," the Byron Bay resident said.

"My son and his friends gave the police their names, addresses and version of events and the police have not laid any charges.

"Mr Hunt and his son have been across the media criticising the boys and Byron Bay, but one of the boys these two men fought had to get stitches in his head."

The boys involved in last weekend's fight are all Byron Bay residents and range in age from 15 to 17 years. Two are high school students and two are employed in the local area.

The man's son told The Northern Star he was 'hanging out with mates in town' when the fight occurred.

He admitted the four boys drank two beers earlier in the evening.

"Me and three friends were walking up Jonson Street," the 16-year-old said.

"I didn't recognise it as Rex Hunt at the time but he had come out the Beach Hotel with his wife, son and a younger woman.

"We walked past them and his son started yelling at us. Mr Hunt's wife stepped in and said to us 'don't listen to him, he's drunk'.

The fight began when Michael Hunt hit one of the boys in the head, the boy alleged. The Hunt family, who were in Byron Bay to attend a wedding, have been reported as saying they were tar- geted in a pre-meditated attack against tourists.

"I don't have a problem with tourists," the 16-year-old told The Northern Star.

"I work in boats and tourism.

"I said to Rex Hunt 'I'm not involved in this' but he said to me, 'I'm 60 and I'll still take you on. I'll take you down'.

"His son said to one of my friends 'me and you, one on one'."

The youth's claims are in stark contrast to allegations made by Mr Hunt.

The former AFL football player alleged on Southern Cross radio station 3AW that: From previous page

"Up to 15 teenage boys were involved in an unprovoked attack that left him and his son Matthew with cuts and bruises."

He called Byron Bay 'more dangerous than Bali'.

Mr Hunt's claims that Byron Bay harboured an anti-tourist attitude have been dismissed by mayor Jan Barham and police.

"In this incident I believe there were contributing factors from both sides," Tweed Byron Local Area Commander superintendent Tim Tarlington said.

"I don't agree with comments made by Mr Hunt in the media. The issue was dealt with appropriately by police at the time."

Early this week Melbourne's Herald Sun newspaper quoted Mr Hunt saying he would visit his lawyer on Wednesday to start legal action against the boys.

"Even if you live in a tent, I'll take your tent off you," the newspaper reported Mr Hunt saying.

A spokesman for Rex Hunt Enterprises said it remained unknown whether Mr Hunt would pursue legal action against the boys.

"He is still talking to his lawyers, but no decision has been made," the spokesman said.

"He is not making any further comment at this time."

Beach Hotel general manager Terry McCulloch declined to comment on whether the pub has security camera footage.

A hotel spokeswoman said that Mr McCulloch has indicated that "we are unable to comment as legal action may have already commenced".

What do you think?

Phone the Star Feedback line on 6624 3266 or email opin- ions@northernstar.com.au



Why this businessman is disgusted by rate debate

premium_icon Why this businessman is disgusted by rate debate

"We pay eight times more than what Ballina pays".

Accused priest denies child sex claims at trial

premium_icon Accused priest denies child sex claims at trial

Catholic priest is accused of abusing two boys in the 1980s

Fed-up dairy farmer predicts demise of Aussie milk

premium_icon Fed-up dairy farmer predicts demise of Aussie milk

"It won't be long before there are milk shortages"

Local Partners