Hanabeth Luke makes appeal to quit war on terror
By MEGAN KINNINMENT email@example.com
"WHEN are we going to learn? An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind."
Hanabeth Luke yesterday spoke in a trembling voice of the painful emotional wounds that had been reopened after Saturday's horrific Bali bombings.
"I'm really, really distressed that more people are going to go through what I went through," the Byron Bay woman, who is now working for Greenpeace in Sydney, said.
Hanabeth's boyfriend, Marc Gajardo, was killed in the 2002 Bali bombings.
The 24-year-old became a heroine after a picture of her rescuing a man from one of the destroyed Kuta nightclubs in 2002 appeared on the front pages of newspapers around the world.
"You never get past something like this," she said yesterday.
As well as the painful memories the latest bombings had reawakened for Hanabeth, she said it had also given rise to enormous anger at the Australian and British government's decision to join the war on terror.
After the 2002 bombings, Hanabeth went head-to-head with British Prime Minister Tony Blair on BBC television, urging him not to join the war in Iraq.
And yesterday she begged the Australian Government to pull out of any involvement in the war on terror.
"The coalition of the willing have to realise the war on terror is not working," she said.
"Violence is never the answer.
"The anger towards the West is escalating.
"How much blood is going to be shed before they realise that it's not working and they need to find real solutions?"