Cec Taylor and his sister, Mae Walker, outside some of the holiday cabins they now plan to replace.
Cec Taylor and his sister, Mae Walker, outside some of the holiday cabins they now plan to replace.

Family proposes luxury haven for Broken Head

By ALEX EASTON

BROKEN HEAD'S Taylor family has shelved plans to sell the Broken Head Leisure Resort and now wants to redevelop it as a luxury destination.

Under plans announced by the family yesterday, the redeveloped resort would allow more land for the environment and hand over a small section of Taylors Lake, owned by the family, to the Arakwal people.

The family would also close off an access track linking the resort and the lake.

Existing cabins and the administration centre would be replaced with 10 luxury pavilions, which would be sold separately as holiday homes on a strata title.

The redevelopment, a joint venture between the family and local building company Hang Ten, comes a year after the property was first put on the market.

Aspect North had been brought in to help with planning.

Cec Taylor and his sister, Mae Walker, who grew up on the site, said the family had received only four serious offers on the resort out of 275 inquiries, and none were acceptable. Among them were plans for a multi-storey resort with restaurants, nightclubs and sailboats on Taylors Lake.

Mr Taylor said he wanted the site's natural environment protected and enhanced with little impact from the development on Broken Head.

A Hang Ten spokesman said no prices had been set for the individual properties, but the pavilions, made of timber, stone and brass, would cost between $600,000 and $700,000 each to build.

The spokesman and Aspect North senior manager, Graham Meineke, said a covenant on the site would prevent people, other than the site manager, from living there.

Under that covenant, people would be allowed to visit for 45 days, but they would then have to stay away for 90 days. The site manager would report regularly to Byron Shire Council and anyone who overstayed could be fined.

Byron Shire mayor Jan Barham declined to comment on the development, saying she had not seen plans for the site. However, she said she would have to declare a non-financial interest in the development when it eventually came before the council because she lived near it.

Mr Meineke said plans had been lodged with the State Government under its SEPP 71 coastal planning policy. The plans will be on display at the Byron Shire Council chambers at Mullumbimby and the Byron Bay library from Wednesday. If the government and the council backed the proposal, construction would start early next year.

What do you think?

Phone the Star Feedback line on 6624 3266 or email opinions@north- ernstar.com.au



UPDATE: Fire conditions ease after 'huge response'

UPDATE: Fire conditions ease after 'huge response'

2000ha bushfire at Ellangowan near Casino is still being controlled

PHOTOS: Dragon boats take over Ballina

premium_icon PHOTOS: Dragon boats take over Ballina

14 teams took advantage of the fantastic weather for major event

8 men, 5 trucks, 52 bales of hay: Helping out in 'war zone'

premium_icon 8 men, 5 trucks, 52 bales of hay: Helping out in 'war zone'

Northern Rivers councils help farmers in drought areas

Local Partners