Conservatorium 'rescue' money unspent



THE Education Department yesterday defended its failure to spend more than a quarter of a million dollars given to it for saving the historic Lismore Conservatorium building.

A department spokesman confirmed the department had been allocated $255,000 in early 2003 to fix the crumbling landmark.

The spokesman said the department had spent the intervening 18 months going through a tender process to find out who should fix the building and how they should fix it.

Time ran out for 'the Con' last Thursday, when a new engineer's report rec- ommend the damaged part of the building be demolished as soon as possible.

The department spokesman said the report found the building had 'moved significantly since the last inspection in November 2002', and there was now a serious risk that it would collapse without warning.

The report said it was no longer feasible to fix the damaged part of the building, and there was no option but to demolish it.

The spokesman said the department had made no decision and was 'considering the building's options', although he could not say what they were.



'No one said anything': Advocate calls on police to step in

premium_icon 'No one said anything': Advocate calls on police to step in

Advocate hopes inquiry will encourage police to call out misconduct

Your chance to see the best gardens in Lismore

Your chance to see the best gardens in Lismore

Learn the secrets of the region's green thumbs

Tragedy struck this young family

Tragedy struck this young family

Struggles of a pioneering Italian family

Local Partners