Brennan?s Academy award
SWIMMER Kate Brennan, from Safety Beach, near Woolgoolga, has been named Norther Coast Academy of Sport Athlete of the Year for 2004.
More than 200 athletes, families, coaches and officials attended the awards ceremony at Twin Towns Services Club on Saturday night.
Guest speaker at the awards was Olympic sprint canoeist, David Rhodes, from Banglow, who was an NCAS track and field athlete in 1992, and is the first known academy athlete to compete at an Olympic Games.
A student at John Paul College in Coffs Harbour, Kate's Brennan's highlights for 2004 as a 13-year-old were outstanding and included winning five national titles at the 2004 Australian Age Swimming Championships held in Perth last April.
As well as swimming, the Academy awards recognised the high performances of athletes from its 11 other sports.
The full list of Academy Award winners for 2004 includes:
- Canoe Sprint 2003-04: Most Outstanding, David Rae, Ocean Shores; Most Improved, Patrick Norton, Byron Bay.
- Hockey 2003-04: Most Outstanding, Nicolas Russ, Waterview; Most Improved, Nikki Woolner, Port Macquarie; Encouragement Award, Peter Duncan, Coraki.
- Lawn Bowling 2004, Most Outstanding, Hannah Clohesy, Port Maccquarie; Most Improved, Mitchell Williams, Port Maccquarie; Encouragement Award, Jye Ramsay, South Grafton.
- Netball 2003-04: Most Outstanding, Kimberly Borger, Fredrickton; Most Improved, Kristy Durheim, Lismore Heights; Encouragement Award, Marley Simmons, Southgate.
- Rowing 2003-04: Most Outstanding, Nicole West, Grafton-Gullmarrad; Most Improved, Adam Harrison, Dorroughby; Encouragement Award, Ashleigh Peppernell, Arrawarra Beach.
- Rugby: Most Outstanding, Duncan Chubb, Sapphire; Most Improved, Luke Strother, Sawtell; Encouragement Award, Benjamin Coridas, Alstonville.
- Sailing 2003: Most Outstanding, Thomas Scully, Maclean; Most Improved, Gabrielle King, Maclean; Encouragement Award, Melanie Egan, Middle Boambee.
- Soccer 2003-04: Most Outstanding Male, Rory Goddard, Sawtell; Most Outstanding Female, Laura Hall, Coffs Harbour; Most Improved Male, Shane Acorn, Kempsey; Most Improved Female, Carly Young, Valla; Encouragement Award Male, Tim Jackson, Corindi Beach; Encouragement Award Female, Danielle Buttsworth, Laurieton.
- Softball 2003-04: Most Outstanding, Niki Clough, Goonellabah; Most Improved, Brendan Gillespie, South Lismore; Encouragement Award, Sarah Fry.
- Surf Life Saving: Most Outstanding, Courtney Hancock, Sawtell; Most Improved, Johanna Way, Byron Bay; Encouragement Award, Mitchell Dawson, Port Macquarie.
- Swimming 2003-04: Most Outstanding, Kate Brennan, Safety Beach; Most Consistent, Kate Johnson, Lennox Head; Encouragement Award, Sara Marson, Cudgen.
- Triathlon 2003-04: Most Outstanding, Dane Robinson, Lennox Head; Most Improved, Kate Nind, Lismore; Encouragement Award, Tamika Morrissey, East Lismore.
- 2004 Chairman's Encouragement Award: Ashleigh Peppernell, Arrawarra Beach.
- 2004 NCAS Athlete Of The Year (Darrel Chapman Memorial Award), Kate Brennan, Safety Beach.