AUSSIES BRAVE TERROR THREAT
By ADAM HICKS
SURFER Wayne Webster is more worried about finding a wave than dodging bombs ahead of his upcoming holiday to Indonesia.
The Lennox Head resident is unfazed by the high alert warning to Australian tourists issued by the Federal Government on Wednesday.
Yesterday, Australians were advised to defer all non-essential travel to Indonesia after intelligence reports showed major hotels could be targeted by terrorists. A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesman said the attacks could occur at any time in any tourist location. Mr Webster's feelings appeared to be echoed across the region by the many tourists planning trips to Indonesia.
The 32-year-old, who is reuniting with his girlfriend in Bali on New Year's Eve, said he was not about to give up his trip.
"Mr first reaction was, well, the surf won't be as crowded," he said.
"When you hear about the warnings it makes you think about your plans, but I won't be changing them. You can't live in a box.
"There is probably more chance of being eaten by a shark than getting killed by a terrorist, and I've been surfing for 20 years and I still have both arms and legs."
Northern Rivers travel agents re- ported no holidaymakers had been spooked out of their plans.
Ballina Flight Centre manager, Elena Novak, said she had received no cancellations and the threats had not reduced the appeal of Bali for travellers.
"Yesterday we struggled to find seats on a flight for a customer. It's seriously hard to get accommodation at the moment," she said.
Byron Bay surfer, Scott Burmester, only learnt of the warning while waiting at Brisbane Airport for a flight to Jakarta yesterday morning.
"It's already planned and happening now," he said. "It's something that stays in the back of your mind. I'll lie pretty low while in Jakarta."