Appeal for witnesses in Strobel case
By ZOE SATHERLEY
FOR TWENTY hours police manned a roadside stall last Friday and Saturday, hoping to draw forward witnesses in the Simone Strobel death case.
They dressed a mannequin in clothes similar to those Simone was wearing at the time of her disappearance and sat and waited outside the Lismore Tourist Caravan Park, in Dawson Street, where the 25-year-old German tourist had been staying.
What they wanted was for people who knew anything at all about the bizarre case to come forward ? and they did.
Crime Prevention Officer Snr Const Michael Hogan said that 40 people came to speak to police.
Many of them preferred to stay anonymous and that's fine with the police.
"If people have information but are afraid to speak with us out of fear that they may become targets for an investigation, we want to allay their concerns," Snr Const Hogan said.
"We are just interested in finding out what happened on the night."
Snr Const Hogan said information from a number of people 'confirmed what we already knew', but that this information would still be further investigated.
He said police wanted to thank the public for their support and that police had received positive feedback throughout the operation.
He acknowledged that the rumour mill was in overdrive and while he was in no position to confirm or deny specifics about the case, he did shed some light on persistent rumours that people had been held in custody and interviewed over Simone's death.
"Everyone who has spoken to police about this case has come to the police voluntarily," he said.
"No-one has ever been held for questioning. You can't arrest someone just to bring them in for an interview and you can't hold people in custody just to interview them.
"No arrests have been made in this case."
He also confirmed that police were aware of a number of suicides which had occurred on the Northern Rivers following Simone's death.
He said none of these appeared related in any way to the Strobel case.