The Northern Star Archives

Alleged child rapist to move to Gladstone caravan park

A GLADSTONE caravan park will be the new home for an accused child rapist.

A 66-year-old man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had been travelling across Australia in a caravan with his wife for the past year.

A Brisbane court heard on Wednesday that his travel had made it difficult for police to find him and charge him with raping a girl under 14 years old in the 1970s and '80s.

The man appeared in the Brisbane Magistrates Court before being released on bail.

Police originally opposed bail because of the man's transient lifestyle, but after hearing that he planned to settle in Gladstone to be closer to his son and that the man was willing to report to police weekly, Magistrate Judith Daley set him free.

The court heard the man was once in the army.

He and his wife sold their house about a year ago and went travelling around Australia in their caravan and returned to Brisbane last week, the court heard.

He has been charged with six offences, including two counts of rape and four counts of indecent treatment of a girl under 14 years.

It is alleged the offences occurred between 1978 and 1983. It is also understood all six charges relate to the same victim.

The court heard the man had a son in Gladstone who he had not spoken to for about two years.

They had recently been back in touch, the court heard.

Ms Daley granted him bail on the condition the man reported to Gladstone Police Station every week, starting next Wednesday.

She also said he must also reside at a Gladstone caravan park.



'Deeply traumatised': Family responds after investigation

premium_icon 'Deeply traumatised': Family responds after investigation

"The family calls for an explanation why officer is still on duty"

Blogger defends Serge Benhayon 'dark past' claims

premium_icon Blogger defends Serge Benhayon 'dark past' claims

Press kit suggested group used 'mind control' techniques, court told

Local Partners