Silvio Berlusconi banned from parliament for two years

THE FORMER Italian Prime Minister, embattled Silvio Berlusconi, was banned from the country's parliament for two years by a Milan court on Saturday night.

Mr Berlusconi was banned from Italy's parliament as part of a major tax fraud case against the embattled billionaire.

While the Italian must approve the ban before it comes into force, his banishment from high office is already the subject of new laws under consideration.

Those laws, approved last year, would ban parliamentarians with criminal sentences of more than two years from the chamber.

Mr Berlusconi, who came to international prominence in relation to his hosting infamous "bunga-bunga" parties, has rights to appeal the ban.



'Consider your fire plan': residents told to be prepared

'Consider your fire plan': residents told to be prepared

A total of 79 bush and grass fires burn across the state

Local Partners