Claims death cap mushrooms caused hospitalisations

DEATH cap mushrooms are being blamed for hospitalising three Canberra residents, prompting an alert from the Australian Capital Territory's chief health officer.

The three are now in a stable condition Calvary Hospital. They told authorities they bought the potentially deadly mushrooms from a Woolworths supermarket on April 17.

In the warning, Dr Paul Kelly said it so far appeared to be an isolated incident.

There have been no other recent reports of death cap mushroom poisoning in the ACT, he said.

The alert also reminded people not to pick and eat wild mushrooms.

"It can be extremely difficult for even experienced collectors to distinguish death cap mushrooms from other edible mushrooms," Dr Kelly said.



Rider in critical condition after motorbike crash

Premium Content Rider in critical condition after motorbike crash

He collided with a rock wall before being thrown from his motorbike.

Police warn people not to post ‘unconfirmed’ sightings

Premium Content Police warn people not to post ‘unconfirmed’ sightings

UNCONFIRMED social media reports on police matters can cause distress and...

“Severe” fire danger for Sunday, Total Fire Ban declared

“Severe” fire danger for Sunday, Total Fire Ban declared

As the mercury rises and humidity drops a Total Fire Ban is in place