Acmena juveniles in stand-off
ACID was hurled at Acmena staff in a four-hour stand-off, the Department of Juvenile Justice admitted yesterday.
After downplaying the October 21 incident when contacted by The Daily Examiner last month, a spokeswoman yesterday confirmed a group of five Acmena Juvenile Justice Centre detainees barricaded themselves in the pool and tennis court area, threw pool chemicals at staff and threatened them and their families.
"Five detainees held staff at bay... for about three to four hours," the spokeswoman said.
"Detainees had accessed pool chemicals and other materials from a storage shed near the pool.
"They threw chemicals and material towards the staff.
"Detainees tipped a quantity of pool chemicals in close proximity to where staff were observing.
"The strong fumes caused staff to move back."
She said detainees were on the tennis court throwing the chemicals and some staff "may have inhaled some fumes".
She said there were no injuries sustained during the stand-off.
"No staff have been on sick leave or workers compensation leave as a result of the incident," she said.
Police were not immediately called to break up the stand-off and only investigated it afterwards.
The spokeswoman said the Department of Juvenile Justice's security review team found the matter was dealt with appropriately by the staff and backed their decision not to bring in the police.
"The Security Review Team is of the view ... that careful tactics and negotiation by staff resulted in nil injuries and further negated the necessity to use external agencies to deal with the incident," the review team's report said.
The spokeswoman said the five detainees involved in the incident were moved out of Acmena to another centre.
Yesterday one of the youths involved pleaded guilty to offences relating to the incident in Grafton Children's Court.