Bishkek Hospital's senior professor of surgery, Bahadir Bebezov examines the hair ball. Photo / YouTube
Bishkek Hospital's senior professor of surgery, Bahadir Bebezov examines the hair ball. Photo / YouTube

4kg hair ball found in girl's gut

DOCTORS have saved a teenager's life by removing a massive hair ball blocking her digestive system.   

The Daily Mail reports the 18-year-old couldn't even drink a glass of water without being sick and was badly dehydrated and malnourished.

Ayperi Alekseeva, from Kygyzstan, had to have emergency surgery because she was badly dehydrated and malnourished.   

She had been brought to hospital by her parents after complaining of severe stomach pains.   

After X-raying her, the doctors realised there was a blockage and referred her to Bishkek Hospital in the country's capital for surgery.   

The teenager had spent years picking up hair from the carpet and eating it. She also chewed the tips of her hair.   

The hospital's senior professor of surgery, Bahadir Bebezov told the Daily Mail Miss Alekseeva's stomach was so badly swollen from hair and bits of wool from the carpet that it "literally just oozed out" as soon as the wall of the stomach was cut.   

Miss Alekseeva is now recovering from surgery and has now promised never to chew her hair again.   



Two people treated by paramedics after fire

Two people treated by paramedics after fire

Emergency services respond to house fire

Freezing, windy weather to hit Northern Rivers

premium_icon Freezing, windy weather to hit Northern Rivers

Temperatures to plummet more than 6C below average

Emergency crews rescue child from Mt Warning

Emergency crews rescue child from Mt Warning

The girl reportedly hit her head on a rock

Local Partners