$2.7m street upgrade almost done
THERE is light at the end of the tunnel for Casino retailers who have had to operate around excavated footpaths, safety fencing and new median strips for the past eight months.
The $2.7 million town centre upgrade, which has blown out from the original $2.2 million Federal grant, should be complete by mid-June, with Walker Street all but completely finished before Beef Week starts.
Richmond Valley Council’s manager of civil operations Paul Radnidge said the finishing touches to the Walker Street upgrade, which has been under way since August last year, would be completed within the next two weeks.
“The only part of the upgrade in Walker Street that won’t be finished for Beef Week will be the installation of the light/banner poles,” he said.
Work in Walker Street will go into overdrive this week, with the road scheduled to be resurfaced tonight, tomorrow night and Friday night.
Walker Street, between the corners of Barker and Canterbury streets, will be closed from 6pm tonight to 6am tomorrow morning and in sections tomorrow and Friday night.
Then on the weekend, the council will line-mark Walker Street ready for nose-in parking, which will be officially implemented on Monday, May 17.
Council crews are also expected to finish planting out the gardens and start installing street furniture and safety bollards in Walker Street this week.
Meanwhile, Mr Radnidge said council crews working in Barker Street this week would focus on completing all the footpaths and infilling the median strip.
The final half of the median strip, from the post office to Centre Street, would not be installed until after Beef Week, he said.
Under the terms of the $2.2 million Federal Government grant the council received to fund the upgrade, work on the project must be complete by the end of June.