25 things you didn’t know about Iggy Azalea
MULLUMBIMBY-raised rapper, Iggy Azalea, turned 25 on Sunday.
While she is the most popular under-30 celebrity from the Northern Rivers, you may not know some of these things about her:
1. Her real name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly.
2. She was born in Sydney, but her family moved to Mullumbimby when she was two years old.
3. She enjoyed Roald Dahl's books while growing up, and Matilda was one of her favourites.
4. Azalea has said that she has some Aboriginal ancestry. In 2011, she said to US magazine Complex:
"My family came to Australia on the First Fleet. My family's been in that country for a long time, over 100 years.
"If your family's lived in Australia for a long time, everyone has a little bit of (Aboriginal's blood).
"I know my family does because we have an eye condition that only Aboriginal people have."
5. Her favourite colour is purple.
6. US website Buzzfed reported this year she has admitted to eating pizza from a fast food company up to five times a week.
7. She has complained the has ordered pizza from such fast food company but instead got text messages and phone calls from the fast food pizza staff.
8. While living in Mullumbimby, Azalea formed a group with two other girls from the town. She eventually decided to disband the group because the other girls weren't taking it seriously.
9. She also said she had no friends in High School and was teased for her homemade outfits.
10. In order to move to the US, she worked cleaning hotel rooms and holiday houses with her mother.
11. Azalea moved to the United States at the age of 16 in 2006 to pursue a career in hip hop music, residing in the southern part of the country.
12. As of February 2013, Azalea is in the US on a five-year O visa.
13. She earned public recognition in the US after releasing music videos for her controversial songs Pu$$y and Two Times.
14. Her debut studio album, The New Classic (2014), peaked among the top five of several charts worldwide and received generally mixed reviews.
15. The single Fancy was a massive hit, reaching number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, with Azalea becoming only the fourth solo female rapper ever to top the Hot 100.
16. With Azalea featured on Ariana Grande's single Problem, peaking at number two on the Hot 100 behind her own single Fancy, Azalea joined The Beatles as the only acts to rank at numbers one and two simultaneously with their first two Hot 100 hits.
17. Additionally, she went on to pass Lil' Kim as the female rapper with the longest-leading number one single on the Billboard Hot 100.
18. Her 2014 hit Black Widow was originally intended for Katy Perry's 2013 album Prism, but it didn't make the cut.
19. In March 2015, Azalea revealed to Vogue magazine that she had undergone breast augmentation saying, "I did change something: Four months ago, I got bigger boobs!"
After initially resolving never to discuss it publicly as she didn't want other girls to feel bad about their own bodies, she concluded, "But then, I decided I wasn't into secret-keeping."
20. At the 2015 Billboard Music Awards, held on May 17, Iggy went on stage with Britney Spears to perform their duet Pretty Girls.
21. The music of the song was released on May 13, where Azalea also made her directorial debut.
22. In April 2015, she signed on to be the 100th birthday ambassador of Australian underwear and clothing company Bonds.
23. For the May cover of Marie Claire, Iggy was named one of the Fresh Faces of 2015, joined by joined Felicity Jones, Zoe Kravitz, Hailee Steinfeld, and Kate Upton for the magazines multi-cover issue.
24. She received twelve nominations at the 2015 Billboard Music Awards.
25. Her partner since 2013, LA Lakers player Nick Young, proposed to Azalea during his 30th birthday celebration on June 1.