18 dead after Chinese mine explosion

AT LEAST 18 people are dead after an explosion in a Chinese mine at the weekend.

Another five were still believed to be trapped underground after the explosion, according to a state news group, which was quoting government and company sources.

News outlet AFP reported the blast at the mine went off at 11am local time on Saturday and by early evening 18 people were confirmed dead while several others had been rescued.

An estimated 1973 people died in coal mining accidents in China during 2011, a 19% drop compared to the year before.



Trial told of 'bizarre sexual manipulation' tweet

premium_icon Trial told of 'bizarre sexual manipulation' tweet

Spiritual healer is suing former client for defamation

CCTV coverage to be expanded in Lismore

premium_icon CCTV coverage to be expanded in Lismore

"It's a welcome addition to crime prevention”

7 best spots for breakfast on the Northern Rivers

premium_icon 7 best spots for breakfast on the Northern Rivers

Where's the best place to get a delicious morning meal?

Local Partners