17 kids die in Syrian war crimes
THE United Nations special envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura says he is "appalled and shocked” that rebels in Aleppo are targeting civilians in the city.
Syrian government troops and rebels have been locked in fierce fighting on Aleppo's western edges, where at least 41 civilians have been killed in the past three days.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the death toll included at least 17 children. It also said 55 soldiers and 64 rebels had died.
The "relentless and indiscriminate” rocket attacks had killed scores of civilians, Mr de Mistura said.
Such attacks could amount to war crimes, he said.
The BBC reported that rebels began an offensive last Friday aimed at breaking the government siege of east Aleppo.
About 275,000 people have been besieged in the east of the city for months.
On Sunday, state media in Syria said rebels had used chemical weapons against government-controlled districts of Aleppo, but one rebel group said it did not have such weapons.
According to Al Jazeera, rebels unleashed car bombs and salvoes of rockets and mortar shells to break through government lines.
More than 300 Islamic State child soldiers have been killed in the two weeks since Iraqi government forces and their allies launched an offensive to retake the northern Iraqi city of Mosul from the terror group.
The Independent quoted the observatory as saying the IS dead were child fighters, known as Caliphate Cubs.
The observatory said at least 480 IS fighters had been killed since the battle for Mosul began on October 16.
The United Nations has said IS slaughtered at least 232 civilians last week.
"Of these there were 190 former Iraqi Security Forces officers. These reports have been corroborated to the extent possible,” a UN spokesman said.
The BBC reports Saudi Arabia thwarted an Islamic State plan to car bomb a World Cup qualifying football game between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates last month in Jeddah.
Eight suspects have been arrested from two "terrorist cells”.