SOUTH Ballina Beach will remain closed to commercial pipi harvesting, despite other beaches in the state being reopened from tomorrow, Friday, June 1.
The Department of Primary Industries put a six-month moratorium on commercial pipi harvesting in December last year in response to concerns about a decline in pipi stocks.
Executive director of Fisheries, Geoff Allan, said recent surveys indicated there has been a recovery in pipi numbers on most NSW beaches.
But concerns remain about pipi populations on South Ballina and Stockton beaches.
Dr Allan said those beaches would continue to be closed to commercial harvesting while they were monitored.
New management measures for all commercial fishers authorised to harvest pipis will also be implemented.
"A new minimum size limit of 45 millimetres will apply, as well as a new limit restricting the daily take to 40 kilograms," Dr Allan said.
Arrangements for recreational fishers will remain unchanged, with a maximum of 50 pipis permitted to be collected for bait purposes only and within 50 metres of the high tide mark.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.