News

$2.5m murder case accused remain behind bars

Murwillumbah resident Michael Martin, 36, was killed on June 13, last year.
Murwillumbah resident Michael Martin, 36, was killed on June 13, last year. Blainey Woodham

A MAN and woman accused of being involved in the murder of a Murwillumbah man to collect $2.5 million in life insurance will remain behind bars until July.

Michael Martin Jnr elected not to appear via video-link at Lismore Local Court yesterday, while his co-accused, former Byron High student Jessica Honey Fallon, 21, appeared via video-link from Sydney's Silverwater Women's Correctional Centre.

Both Martin Jnr and Fallon are charged with causing grevious bodily harm with intent to murder and causing reckless grevious bodily harm in company.

The charges relate to their alleged involvement in an attack on Michael Martin Snr in April 2014 which saw him spend two months in hospital.

Read more: Extra charges laid on man accused of murdering father

It is alleged when Mr Martin Snr returned home from hospital last year he was hacked to death with a machete on June 13.

Martin Jnr claimed he was woken up by the intruders, before being bound and forced to listen to his father being murdered.

Following a nine month investigation, Martin Jnr was arrested and charged with his father's murder on March 7, just a week after he made an appeal to the public to help find the killer.

The court heard the brief of evidence in relation to the April 2014 attack on Mr Martin had been partially served for both Martin Jnr and Fallon. But none of the brief of evidence relating to the alleged murder of Mr Martin Snr by his son had been served on the defence.

Magistrate R Denes ordered the brief of evidence relating to the murder charge against Martin Jnr to be served by June 16.

She adjourned Martin Jnr's matters until a date in July.

Meanwhile, Fallon was represented by her solicitor Jim Fuggle. Mr Fuggle told the court he had only recieved part of the brief of evidece against Fallon.

Prosecutor Ms Lehmann asked for the matter to be adjourned until June 16 to allow the brief of evidence to be prepared.

Mr Fuggle told the court he thought it would take longer than that: "I'm told there is some listening device material that has to be transcribed."

Ms Denes ordered the brief of evidence against Fallon to be served by July 7 and adjourned her matters until a date in July.

Neither Martin Jnr or Fallon applied for bail and will remain behind bars until their next appearances.

 

Topics:  court, crime, editors picks, michael martin, murder, police




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Flow Hive wins top prize at Good Design Awards

Stuart (left) and Cedar Anderson, inventors of the Flow Hive, hold a Flow Frame in the shed where they developed the idea in Far North Coast New South Wales, Australia. Photo Contributed

Father and son inventor get the top gong at Australian Design Awards

PHOTOS: Bulls, axes, hot rods and more at Beef Week Saturday

WHIP IT: Beef Week Queen entrant Alice Magner with Zac Simeoni, 6, one of the winners of the junior Jackaroo competition at Beef Week Saturday. Zac also took out the under-sevens whip cracking competition. "He was stoked," dad Andrew said.

Check out some of the highlights of Beef Week Saturday 2016.

Teen goes on stolen credit card spending spree in Ballina

A 17-year-old has been charged with eight counts of fraud.

Latest deals and offers

Lismore real estate agent celebrates 100th birthday

LJ Hooker Lismore principal Paul Deegan is the third generation to operate the 100-year-old family business.

A Lismore real estate is celebrating 100 years in business.

Coastal development keeps young people on Northern Rivers

Wes Bale is a 27-year-old born and bred Lennox Head local who is an example of the demographic shift in the region.

Young Northern Rivers residents are looking closer to home